Judo
I went to judo last night. The class had probably 25-30 students plus about 5 black belts. They have traditional judo tatami but they have a sprung floor underneath. Oh. My. God. Training on those mats is incredible! Where have those been all my life?
The warmup was typical; a few laps, stretching, pushups, situps, burpees, then breakfalls 6, 9, 7, and 13 (cartwheel). We spent about 20 minutes working on uchi mata. I learned more about kuzushi in that 20 minutes than I have in my entire time in jiu jitsu.
Unfortunatly, they didn’t let me participate in randori, which is understandable, But the senior belt took me aside and wanted to “show me” the scarf hold.i managed to get him off with some difficulty; since you’re not allowed to push on the jaw to bring the head back to hook the leg around, you have to do something else. After he asks me to get him in the scarf hold and see if I can hold him down. First time I had it kind of loose and he was out easily. 2nd time I gave it and kept him on his back the whole time.
My biggest comment is that it was VERY humbling. What I know about throwing and kuzushi is but a drop in the bucket. All of the practice was done dynamically and I kind of felt like a fish out of water (and BOY do I ever have gi rash! Time to get some rashguard!)
I will definitely be signing up for at least one semester starting Feb 1.
The warmup was typical; a few laps, stretching, pushups, situps, burpees, then breakfalls 6, 9, 7, and 13 (cartwheel). We spent about 20 minutes working on uchi mata. I learned more about kuzushi in that 20 minutes than I have in my entire time in jiu jitsu.
Unfortunatly, they didn’t let me participate in randori, which is understandable, But the senior belt took me aside and wanted to “show me” the scarf hold.i managed to get him off with some difficulty; since you’re not allowed to push on the jaw to bring the head back to hook the leg around, you have to do something else. After he asks me to get him in the scarf hold and see if I can hold him down. First time I had it kind of loose and he was out easily. 2nd time I gave it and kept him on his back the whole time.
My biggest comment is that it was VERY humbling. What I know about throwing and kuzushi is but a drop in the bucket. All of the practice was done dynamically and I kind of felt like a fish out of water (and BOY do I ever have gi rash! Time to get some rashguard!)
I will definitely be signing up for at least one semester starting Feb 1.
Comments (0)
Post a Comment