First class as a Judoka
Well, class was interesting that’s for sure.
There were 9 new people, including me. About 4 of us had jiu jitsu backgrounds, 2 guys had done judo a long time ago, and the rest had no martial arts experience at all.
The entire class was about 25-ish people.
After the warmup, we were taken aside and worked on breakfalls: 2, 3, 4, and 6 and were pretty much exactly how we do it. I got some weird looks when I was doing mine because of the counter kicks and x-blocks were instinctive. The instructor also pointed out after seeing my breakfall 2 to bring the hand in that did the slap and cover up your head. We then did some shrimping and a version of shrimping when you’re lying on your stomach; you use your arms to drag your body across the mats. we worked on some basic kuzushi and then moved on to ippon seoi nage (our “basic” shoulder throw).
Some comments on the judo vs jiu jitsu method of ippon seoi nage:
Foot and body positioning: judo tends to keep a bit more space between uke and tori than jiu jitsu. By a bit more, i mean tori's feet are about 5-6 inches in front of uke's and there is no hip-to-hip contact. The basic mechanism is as follows. Tori steps across with his right foot. As Tori turns to the left to bring his left foot in, he pulls uke's right sleeve with him. Tori is using his own body rotation as well as arm strength to pull uke with him in a circle. This pulling breaks uke's balance and makes him lean forward as tori finishes stepping into position. Tori then continues pulling uke through the throw and uses uke's forward momentum to aid in the throw. This is a LOT easier than throwing from a completely static position, though it requires better timing than from static.
Overall, the class was what I expected, but I was a big disappointed. The instructor who was teaching us seemed totally unprepared for the class. Comments like "keep doing front rolls until I figure out what to do next" didn't exactly exude confidence. He said that the regular instructor is working nights on Mondays for the next few weeks so he’ll be subbing. I hope he’s a bit more professional. It took a lot to not overstep my bounds and show people how to do stuff. I hope he just had an off night.
There were 9 new people, including me. About 4 of us had jiu jitsu backgrounds, 2 guys had done judo a long time ago, and the rest had no martial arts experience at all.
The entire class was about 25-ish people.
After the warmup, we were taken aside and worked on breakfalls: 2, 3, 4, and 6 and were pretty much exactly how we do it. I got some weird looks when I was doing mine because of the counter kicks and x-blocks were instinctive. The instructor also pointed out after seeing my breakfall 2 to bring the hand in that did the slap and cover up your head. We then did some shrimping and a version of shrimping when you’re lying on your stomach; you use your arms to drag your body across the mats. we worked on some basic kuzushi and then moved on to ippon seoi nage (our “basic” shoulder throw).
Some comments on the judo vs jiu jitsu method of ippon seoi nage:
Foot and body positioning: judo tends to keep a bit more space between uke and tori than jiu jitsu. By a bit more, i mean tori's feet are about 5-6 inches in front of uke's and there is no hip-to-hip contact. The basic mechanism is as follows. Tori steps across with his right foot. As Tori turns to the left to bring his left foot in, he pulls uke's right sleeve with him. Tori is using his own body rotation as well as arm strength to pull uke with him in a circle. This pulling breaks uke's balance and makes him lean forward as tori finishes stepping into position. Tori then continues pulling uke through the throw and uses uke's forward momentum to aid in the throw. This is a LOT easier than throwing from a completely static position, though it requires better timing than from static.
Overall, the class was what I expected, but I was a big disappointed. The instructor who was teaching us seemed totally unprepared for the class. Comments like "keep doing front rolls until I figure out what to do next" didn't exactly exude confidence. He said that the regular instructor is working nights on Mondays for the next few weeks so he’ll be subbing. I hope he’s a bit more professional. It took a lot to not overstep my bounds and show people how to do stuff. I hope he just had an off night.
Comments (0)
Post a Comment